Fine Arts (Art & Music) Electives

DEPARTMENT:  Fine Arts (Art & Music)

Course Name:  Art 1

Grade(s):  09  10 11  12       Course Length:  Semester                Credits:  0.5                      Prerequisite(s): None

Description:  This course is designed to give the student an idea of what is involved in an art elective course.  Students will implement art techniques that can be used for drawing, painting, printmaking, and design projects.  Students will be exposed to and tested on historical art events, vocabulary, and artists, while expressing constructive criticism and aesthetic views towards art that they view in group critiques.

Course Name:  Art 2

Grade(s):  10  11 12              Course Length:  1 year                    Credits:  1.0                      Prerequisite(s): C or better in Art 1  

Description:  This course is designed to focus the student on the elements of art.  Line, color, shape, space, value, texture, and form will be the objectives to follow for each of their individual projects.  Students will review material from Art 1 and be exposed to and tested on historical art events, vocabulary, and artists not mentioned in Art 1.  Students will also be expressing constructive criticism and aesthetic views towards art that they view in group critiques.

Course Name:  Art 3                                                    

Grade(s):  11  12                Course Length:  1 year                     Credits: 1.0          Prerequisite(s):  C or better in Art 1 and Art 2

Description:  This course is designed to focus the student on the principles of art.  Balance, variety, harmony, emphasis, proportion, movement, rhythm, and unity will be objectives to follow for each of their individual projects, while still incorporating the elements on art practiced in Art 2.  Students will review material from Art 1 and Art 2 and will exposed to and tested on historical art events, vocabulary, and artists not mentioned in Art 1 and Art 2. Students will also be expressing constructive criticism and aesthetic views towards art that they view in group critiques.  Time will also be given to produce two art projects of the artist choice enabling the student total art expression.

Course Name:  Art 4                                                    

Grade(s):  12                       Course Length:  1 year                       Credits: 1.0          Prerequisite(s):   C or better in Art 3

Description:   Art 4 is designed to prepare the serious art student  for experiences in a collegiate art based curriculum. Students will work on individual projects in various mediums and areas such as drawing, design, painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, airbrush, and photography.  Projects will follow the theme of the artist’s own interests and creations. The goals of the course are as follows: 1.To further explain and demonstrate art mediums for all projects 2. To enhance the students experiences in the areas of history, production, criticism, and aesthetics of art 3. To encourage students to carry out various techniques, processes, and skills in their artwork 4. To create a complete portfolio from the10+ projects done in class.

Course Name:  Piano 1          

Grade(s):  09  10 11  12 Course Length:  Semester                    Credits:  0.5        Prerequisite:  None    

Description: In this course students will learn the basics of playing the piano, including reading music, technical skills, and posture. Students will each have a keyboard in which to practice the skills that are taught to the group. In addition, students will be directed individually as their skills develop.

Course Name:  Piano 2          

Grade(s):  10  11 12          Course Length:  Semester                     Credits:  0.5        Prerequisite:  None    

Description: In this course, students will continue to develop the basic piano playing skills and music reading knowledge that was learned in Piano 1.

Course Name:  Senior High Band

Grade(s):   09  10 11  12 Course Length:  1 year                Credits: 1.0 (* or 0.5)   Prerequisite(s): Junior High Band

Description:  Introduces students to various types of music, including all musical styles of band.  Students will develop an understanding of music and how it integrates into all other subject areas. Diverse aspects of music performance will be discussed such as:  tempo, rhythm, dynamics, tone, quality, and articulation.  Practice techniques, efficient use of time, and basic motivation will be stressed. From this class, students have the opportunity to advance to higher levels such as district chorus/band and regional chorus/band. This course may be repeated for additional credit.  * This class may be taken for .5 credit (every other day all year) if the student is also taking Senior High Chorus (.5) or a Science lab during the same period.

Course Name:  Select Choir

Grade(s):  9  10 11  12 Course Length:  1 year          Credits:  1.0 or 0.5    Prerequisite(s):  Admission by approval of director.

Description:   This small group of singers, dancers or musicians will have the opportunity to perform more challenging music.  

This group will go beyond the Senior High Chorus to learn additional songs.  From this class, students have the opportunity to advance to higher levels such as district chorus and regional chorus. They would prepare to perform for various events within the community.  This course may be repeated for additional credit.

Course Name:  Senior High Chorus

Grade(s):   09  10 11  12 Course Length:  1 year or Semester    Credits: 1.0 or 0.5     Prerequisite(s): none

Description: Students will have the opportunity to perform various styles of music ranging from folk, pop, and foreign language pieces.  Diverse aspects of music performance will be discussed such as:  tempo, rhythm, dynamics, tone, quality, and articulation   From this class, students have the opportunity to advance to higher levels such as district chorus and regional chorus.  Students will be graded each nine weeks, based on participation and audition. This course may be repeated for additional credit.* This class may be taken for .5 credit (every other day all year) if the student is also taking Senior High Band (.5) or a Science lab during the same period.

Course Name:  Senior High Chorus / Band

Grade(s):   09  10 11  12 Course Length:  1 year or Semester    Credits: 1.0 or 0.5     Prerequisite(s): Chorus-none/ Band- Junior High Band

Description:  Chorus -Students will have the opportunity to perform various styles of music ranging from folk, pop, and foreign language pieces.  Diverse aspects of music performance will be discussed such as:  tempo, rhythm, dynamics, tone, quality, and articulation   From this class, students have the opportunity to advance to higher levels such as district chorus and regional chorus.  Students will be graded each nine weeks, based on participation and audition. This course may be repeated for additional credit.* This class may be taken for .5 credit (every other day all year) if the student is also taking Senior High Band (.5) or a Science lab during the same period. Band – Introduces students to various types of music, including all musical styles of band/chorus. Students will develop an understanding of music and how it integrates into all other subject areas. Diverse aspects of music performance will be discussed such as:  tempo, rhythm, dynamics, tone, quality, and articulation.  Practice techniques, efficient use of time, and basic motivation will be stressed. From this class, students have the opportunity to advance to higher levels such as district chorus/band and regional chorus/band.  Students will be graded each nine weeks, based on participation and audition.  This course may be repeated for additional credit.

More Electives:

Agriculture Science Electives

Business/Computers Electives 

Fine Arts (Art & Music) Electives

Family/Consumer Sciences (Home Economics) Electives 

Industrial Technology and Engineering Electives

Language Arts Electives

Social Studies Electives 

Foreign Languages Electives

Science Electives

Math Electives 

Physical Education Electives