• The Talent Show is tomorrow at 1 PM.

• There is no school on Friday!

• There are 5 days until Easter!

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

Photo Created by Kolby Barrett

1. Center, Shaquille O’Neal

Shaq has played on a variety of teams, including the Magic, Lakers, Heat, Suns, Cavaliers, and Celtics.  At 7′ 1″ from LSU, Shaq made a huge statement in the NBA, with notably being one of the top bigs ever to play the game. He won Rookie of the Year in the 1992-93 season and was the first pick in the draft that year. He was a key asset on the three-peat Lakers in 2000, 2001, and 2002. He also was the MVP of the 1999-2000 season, had 15 All-Star Game Selections, three All-Star Game MVP Awards, three Finals MVPs, 14 All-NBA team selections, and 3 All-Defensive Team selections. Shaq is ranked 8th in points scored in a career; 6th in field goals; 15th in rebounds; and 8th in blocks. He was later elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016. Shaq has also been a rapper, actor, hosted podcasts, and even starred in his own video games. In my opinion, Shaq should easily be a top ten player.  He helped jump start the legacy of Kobe Bryant with his amazing big man skills.

1. Power Forward, Tim Duncan

The 6′ 11″  Power Forward, from Wake Forest spent 19 years on the San Antonio Spurs as a team leader, leading them to win 5 NBA Championships. Duncan won Rookie of the Year in his first season in the 1997 season. After a great rookie season, the Spurs went on to win the NBA Championship and Tim Duncan was named NBA Finals MVP. The year after, he won Co All- Star MVP with my number 10 spot Shaquille O’Neal. In Duncan’s career, he would win five NBA Championships and become the only player to have 1,000 plus wins with only one team. Duncan played in one of basketball’s greatest trios of all time with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. The reason  I chose him for this spot is his reputation as basketball’s greatest winner.

1. Small Forward, Larry Bird

The President of the Indiana Pacers and three-point legend, Larry Bird. Bird went to college at Indiana State and high school at Springs Valley. Bird was a 3 time NBA Finals Champion, 2 time NBA Finals MVP, 3 time NBA MVP, NBA Rookie of the Year, and much more. With bird being in my top ten, many would speculate, why is Stephen Curry, son of former Charlotte Hornet Dell Curry, not in my list. In my opinion Curry has a better three point shot, but Bird was able to do much more than just fire up a shot. Bird was a Small Forward and was 6´9 and would be able to get up to the rim a lot better than Curry would be able to. The main reason on why I chose Bird was because he basically popularized the three point shot and is considered the best three point shooter of all time.

1. Power Forward, Magic Johnson

The current owner of the Los Angeles Lakers, Earvin ¨Magic¨ Johnson has been a beast on and off the court. Magic was a 3 time Finals MVP, 3 time NBA MVP, and 2 time All Star Game MVP. Johnson owned the 80s, period. Johnson was able to play on the “Dream Team” or the 1992 Men’s USA Basketball Team. Magic was something special, standing at 6’9 he would become the tallest Point Guard in league history. Johnson was able to win three Finals and NBA MVPs. Magic was able to create the term triple double into the basketball world. The reason why I put Johnson here on my list is because he was just so interesting to watch, from his no look passes to James Worthy, or a 360 layup against the Hawks.

1. Shooting Guard, Kobe Bryant

My all time personal favorite player and the greatest Laker of all time would be Kobe Bryant. Playing 20 years in the NBA, Kobe Bryant was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets, then traded to the Lakers in his rookie season. Although Kobe isn’t know for being the greatest passer of all time, he surely could shoot. Kobe revolutionized basketball players and their high school experience, Kobe attended Lower Merion High School in Philadelphia. His movement in not attending college would pursue other athletes to do the same, such as LeBron James. I put Kobe here on my list, because he revolutionized the high school basketball experience, and was a 2000’s Michael Jordan. Bryant will go down as one of the greatest to ever play.

1. Center, Bill Russell

Bill Russell was a 11 time basketball champion. He was a bit more than just a basketball player, creating a vision for black basketball players and giving them a chance in the league. The trophy or NBA Finals MVP award is also known as the Bill Russell award. There is many speculation that Russell should be the face of the NBA, yet has been Los Angeles Laker, Jerry West. Russell owned the NBA in the 60’s destroying everybody who was in his path. Without Russell’s face in the NBA we may never have been able to see some of the players that are now in the league.  At the time Russell was a giant, standing at an abnormal 6’10. I placed him here on my list just of the fact how much of an impact he had on the game of basketball.

1. Center, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Kareem is the the NBA’s All Time leading scorer. If that statistic doesn’t speak for itself. He won six titles and six MVP’s as well. Kareem is one of if not the greatest big man to ever play the game. He stood at a massive 7’2 and destroyed the paint every time he stepped onto the court. Not to mention the era of basketball he played in, having to go against big time names like Larry Bird just to name somebody. The reason on why I put Kareem here on my list is the fact that he still to this day holds the title of NBA’s All time leading scorer, another reason why I put him here was that he pretty much invented the skyhook.

1. Center, Wilt Chamberlain

Where many would have Wilt farther back on their list, I think he is one of, if not the most underrated player ever to play the game. The games that Wilt put up were insane, if you look up Wilt Chamberlain’s top 5 scoring games, none of them will be below 70 points, Wilt to this day is the only NBA player to score triple digits in a game. He is most famous for his 100 point game that he scored. I chose Wilt here on my list, just because how much of an entertainer and athlete he was in the NBA. The insane amount of points he put up in games is why I put him on this list.

1. Small Forward, Lebron James

Arguably the greatest to ever play, Lebron James has been insane to grow and be able to watch play the game of basketball. There is no doubt that LeBron is the best to play in this generation, but the question has been for a while now, is he the greatest of all time? In my opinion Jordan is better, but LeBron is up there. I put him here on my list because he has done so much for the game of basketball and helped revolutionize the game. LeBron also holds the NBA’s most consecutive games with ten or more points. LeBron is also a four time NBA MVP just one behind Jordan. Although the king is coming into his mid 30’s I think he still has some more winning to do.

1. Shooting Guard, Michael Jordan

Jordan, in my opinion, is the greatest to ever do it. Just the humbleness of him is another great reason on why I put him first. He once said when asked if he was the greatest of all time, “I cannot answer it, I played in a different generation so I wouldn’t know what those players were like.” Jordan attended North Carolina in college were he would have his number retired. Jordan has 5 MVP’s were he has the most of all time. The reason on why I put him here on my list is just the overall excitement, when he played was awesome. I have went back myself and watched his highlights just to be able to watch his greatness, that I was unable to see live.

About the Writer
Kolby Barrett, Author

Kolby is a Freshman at Redbank Valley HIgh School. This will be his first year on The Bark staff. Kolby participates in football, wrestling, student council,...

1 Comment

One Response to “My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time”

1. Bailey Campbell on March 5th, 2019 12:24 pm

I like your list. You have some of the best of the best. Instead of Tim Duncan, I would put Kyrie Irving.

Good job on my favorite sport, and I will read all the ones in the future.

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Showcase

Kolby Barrett’s 2019 NFL Mock Draft

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Spring Gobbler Contest

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

A Freak of BBall Nature: Noah Farrakhan

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

NCAA Wrestling Championships

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

James Conner’s journey through college

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Big 10 Wrestling Championship Results

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Tebow Time

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Q & A with UFC Bantamweight Fighter Manny Bermudez

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

Showcase

Track Coaches Preview Season

• My Top Ten NBA Players of All Time

My March Madness Champion