World Read Aloud Day

Mrs. Hawk’s 7th grade reading classes participated in World Read Aloud Day on February 1.  World Read Aloud Day is a yearly event that advocates for literacy, motivates children, teens, and even adults to read. The global movement is taking action across all schools nationwide, sparking the power of literature.   

The students were selected at random to share a summary of the books they have been reading in class. Then they have a short discussion about similar books; how they like the book; more books in that series, etc. It gives other students exposure to titles for future reading. Then as a class, they rotated around the room and discussed their books with individual peers.   In addition to the literacy benefits, World Read Aloud Day helps the students examine their reading preferences and encourages public speaking skills.

The Bark sat down with Mrs. Hawk and a few students to get more information on their experience with World Read Aloud Day.

Q: What made you want to promote World Read Aloud Day in your classes? 

Mrs. Hawk:  I noticed Scope Magazine promoting it.   I believe it is important to develop the idea worldwide. I personally love to read, and I want to share that passion with my students. 

Q: What guidelines did you give  students when they were selecting a book to share with peers?

Mrs. Hawk: I told them to read something they had interest in and their classmates would like as well.  They could read as much as they wanted to, and it didn’t have to be an AR book, but it could be. The students also had the opportunity to choose a book they have already read.  

Q: What do you hope  your students will take away  from the experience?

Mrs. Hawk: I want them to appreciate the opportunity to read and build their reading skills. I also want them to understand the importance of sharing what they are reading with others in order to build literacy around the world.

Q: How have your students responded to reading aloud to their peers?

Mrs. Hawk: Some students were nervous about speaking publicly, but then once they began the project, they were excited. It made it more fun that they personalized it and shared with enthusiasm.

Q: What book did you share with your peers?   Why did you choose that particular book?

Ethan McIntire: The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis. I really enjoyed the series, so I continued to read it.

Shae Lee Minich: Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I like it; it is interesting with tons of thrilling scenes.

Q: What did you gain from the experience?

Ethan McIntire: I had the chance to hear about other books to read in the future.

Shae Lee Minich: I stumbled while talking, but it me helped with public speaking a little.

Q: What did you enjoy about reading to your classmates?

Ethan McIntire: They got to see the type of books I enjoy.

Shae Lee Minich: The students had a chance to see what kinds of books I liked.