Teacher Feature: Mrs. Orange

What high school did you go to? 

Redbank Valley

What college did you go to? 

Indiana University of Pa-Bachelor’s Degree in Education

Clarion University of Pa-Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology

Gannon University-Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction

What extracurricular activities did you participate in high school and college?  

I participated in cheerleading and yearbook in high school.  In college, I was involved with Campus Crusade for Christ.

What made you decide to be a teacher?

I wanted to touch the lives of children.

How long have you been here at Redbank? 

I have been teaching full time for 5 years and substituted for several years prior to being hired full time.

What courses do you currently teach here at the high school?

I teach Child Development, Foods and You, Methods of Cookery, 7th Grade Family and Consumer Science, and 8th Grade Family and Consumer Science.

What is one of your favorite teaching memories?

Watching students walk down the aisle at graduation. It always makes me teary-eyed as I recall the wonderful  memories of having them in my classroom. I try to touch their lives but they always end up touching mine and making me so grateful that I have gotten to know each one of them in my classroom. One other great joy I get is whenever my Child Development students take the babies home for the weekend. it’s fun to hear about all the ups and downs of parenting and to see the light bulb go on for my students that parenting is super hard work and takes sacrifice, patience, dedication and commitment.

What is one local, state, or national educational issue that you would like to see resolved?

Poverty is a huge concern. As teachers, we are trained to teach minds, but I see a huge need to help the well-being of children. If they come to school hungry or cold, it’s very difficult for them to learn. As teachers, schools, and communities, we need to help these kiddos who are struggling. At Redbank, we do have the free breakfast program and I see students really take advantage of that and I get a great start to their day, but I’d like to see more done for struggling families. This can begin in our community and our school.

What are some of your hobbies outside of work? 

I enjoy spending time with my family and dogs. I love cooking and learning new methods of cooking as well as trying new recipes.

If you had not chosen to be a teacher, what other career path would you have explored?

I was a medical technologist for a few years. I also received certification as a nursing home administrator because I love working with the elderly, but my secret passion and desire has always been wanting to become a children’s book author.