Spencer Lee and Sebastian Rivera (Seabass)

Mark Lundy - Lutte Lens

I love Spencer Lee so when  I saw “Seabass” upset him, I was shocked. Spencer Lee had an astounding high school career, here is some information about it. Lee was a four-time Pennsylvania state qualifier; a three-time Pennsylvania state champ (113, and 120 two times); he only gave up 3 takedowns in four years until the state finals his senior year; Spencer was the No. 1 wrestler in the country for all four years (113, 120 and 126); Cadet World Champion (50kg); two time Junior World Champion (50kg); he was the only world champion in school history. Lee was a great kid in high school and that definitely carried over to college.

As a true freshman, Lee earned the title of NCAA Champion, winning first career title at 125 pounds to earn All-America honors. Spencer placed third at the Big Ten Championship, which helped him earn Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors. He had a record of 22-2. Spencer went 8-0 in dual competition and 6-0 in Big Ten duals. He won the title at the UNI Open and placed sixth at the Midlands Championships. He was named Mike Howard Most Valuable Wrestler at his team banquet. Lee was on the Amateur Wrestling News all-rookie team, and the NWCA All-American team, and he was the Big Ten sportsmanship award winner. That’s enough of Spencer Lee for now. Sebastian Rivera attends Northwestern University, here is an overview of his statistics.

When he was in high school, he was a New Jersey State Champion and two-time New Jersey state place winner. Sebastian was a Super 32 Champion, which is an outstanding accomplishment, considering the best of the best wrestler in that tournament. He had a 73-12 high school record. During his first year, Redshirt season, he finished 14-4. Rivera beat defending MAC champion Barlow McGhee at the Duhawk Open. He finished 4th at the Midlands Championships. Rivera was the 40th Wildcat wrestler to become an All-American and became the first Northwestern All-American since 2015. He placed sixth at the NCAA Championships in the 2017-18 season. Seabass racked up four wins at the Big Ten Championships which was on route to finishing fifth. He one-upped himself in the 2017-18 when he finished third at Midlands. As of right now, he can boast a 15-0 record on his campaign this season. Rivera is currently ranked #1 in the nation as of January 15.

This season, he went 5-0 at the Midlands Championships to win the title at his weight class of 125 lbs. A good accomplishment was when he won each of his first four matches by technical fall to reach the finals. Seabass ultimately defeated the then #1 wrestler at 125 lbs, Spencer Lee. He received the Champion of Champions Honor after he defeated Lee 7-3.

Rivera opened the scoring with a takedown and a 2-1 lead after the first period. Rivera then said, “I’m a confident dude,” “I’m not going to go out there and doubt myself. I felt like 10 seconds in the way he was wrestling, the way he was moving, I was going to beat this dude. There was no doubt in my mind.” Seabass kept the action on his feet when he added two more takedowns, which gave him a 6-2 edge over Lee. He got an escape in the third to ultimately make the final score 7-3.