• Do you like video games? Consider joining the RV Smash Club.

• Congrats to Noah Anderson for being voted Student of the Week! Look for Noah's picture in the Derrick today!

• Attention seniors please check your emails and complete the survey by this Friday!

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

The Indian Sport of Kabaddi

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Indian Sport of Kabaddi

Kabaddi, a mix of dodge ball, tag, and rugby, is now the 2nd most popular sport in India (Cricket is 1st). In the sport there are two teams of seven, where the object for the game is for the offensive player, otherwise known as the raider, to run in the other team’s area and tag as many people as possible, all while trying not to get tackled. Points are scored from each player tagged by the raider. The other team can gain points from tackling or stopping the team’s raider. The players are out just like in dodge ball if you get tagged or tackled. They can be brought back into the game though for every point scored.

There are many leagues for this sport, just like soccer. Some of the leagues are the Pro Kabaddi League, Super Kabaddi League, and Kabaddi Masters. Just recently these leagues have become the second most watched events in all of India, just behind cricket. The Bengaluru Bulls are the most recent champions in the Pro Kabaddi League, the most well known of all of these. Pardeep Narwal, Nitin Tomar, and Fazel Atrachali are just few of some of the well known athletes.

This sport has gotten a lot of attention in the Indian country and may make its way to other countries in the next few years.   Kabaddi found international exposure in the 1936. The sport was popularized by Sundar Ram of India when he brought it to Japan. It is Harjeet Brar Bajakhana who invented the sport. We all hope Harjeetś sport will become popular in America  soon.

To find out more click the link for the pro website info.

Kolby Barrett, Author

Kolby is a Freshman at Redbank Valley HIgh School. This will be his first year on The Bark staff. Kolby participates in football, wrestling, student council,...