• The Talent Show is tomorrow at 1 PM.

• There is no school on Friday!

• There are 5 days until Easter!

Daton Fix Vs Nick Suriano

Jacob Kundick

More stories from Jacob Kundick

This match between Suriano and Fix was supposed to be such an amazing match, it turned out to be a total and complete let down. Here are some of Suriano’s career accomplishments so far. He was the 2018 national finalist at 125 pounds, first national finalist and highest finisher (second) in program history, 2018 All-American, 2017 Big Ten Championships place winner (sixth, 125), 2017 Midlands Champion, 2017 NCAA qualifier. Those are some astounding accomplishments for being a sophomore at the top level in college. Suriano is a junior this year for the Scarlet Knights.

Nick has racked up quite a career at Rutgers, here it is. When he was a freshman Nick finished 16-3 as a true freshman at Penn State (2016-17). He was seeded third at the 2017 NCAA Championships in St. Louis at 125 pounds. However, he was short of even competing at the tournament due to an injury. Two of his three losses were because of his injury. Technically, his only loss that season was to Iowa’s Thomas Gilman, who went on to become the Big Ten Champion and the NCAA runner-up. When Suriano was a Sophomore he added to his already remarkable career. He was the 2018 national finalist at 125 pounds, producing a 4-1 mark on route to a second-place finish at the 2018 NCAA Championships; he is the highest finisher and first national finalist in program history; Suriano collected wins over the No. 1, 12 and 13 seeds on route to All-America status. Nick became the Rutgers’ first individual champion in program history after he finished 5-0, which included victories over three ranked opponents, at the 55th Annual Midlands Championships.

Suriano was the 125-pound champion at Black Knight Invitational in West Point, N.Y. Nick transferred to Rutgers from Penn State in the fall and was immediately eligible for the season with three seasons of eligibility remaining. When he was in high school, he produced one of the greatest high school careers in Garden State history, earning four NJSIAA State Championships at Bergen Catholic. Nick finished his scholastic career a perfect 159-0, he was also just the fourth four-time New Jersey state champion all-time. Suriano was the only wrestler in state history to match his four individual titles with four team championships. I will be switching lanes and now list some background information about Daton Fix. Daton went 5-0 in his redshirt-freshman season for OSU at 125 pounds, he competed in the Reno Tournament of Champions where he defeated No. 10 Ronnie Bresser (Oregon State) and No. 8 Seaon Fausz (NC State) which was just “easy” opponents for him to advance and complete a first-place finish. Fix had an amazing career in high school. He went 168-0 with four state titles under his belt, he attended Charles Page High School. Fix had a great high school career overall. I might write an article about that at a later date.

However, let us get to the match. The only scores in the match were an escape and questionable calls by the refs. Daton Fix score the first point of the match when he escaped at 1:51 in the second period. Suriano then tied it up when he escaped at 1:42 in the third period. Nick finally took the lead in overtime when he escaped, however, Fix got a chance to score points. Daton tied it up 2-2 in TB since there wasn’t a takedown in the first SV. In SV2 however, there was a call that ended the match and was highly questionable, hands to the face. Suriano got hit with hands to the face call and it gave Fix the lead at 3-2. They started in neutral and Suriano got a caution and the refs ended the match. These two met before, in October of 2014 at Flo wrestling’s “Who’s Number One?” Tournament. Nick Suriano won 2-1 in overtime, this, however, was no ordinary overtime, it was 32 minutes long until Suriano finally got the takedown.

About the Writer
Jacob Kundick, Author

Jacob is a Freshman at Redbank Valley; with this being his first year working for The Bark, he hopes to become a better writer. He will continue to wrestle;...