Teacher Feature: Mrs. Aaron

Teacher Feature: Mrs. Aaron

What high school did you go to?

Meadville Senior High School

What college did you go to?

Clarion University for a degree in English and a degree in English Education. Indiana University for a Master’s Degree in Teaching English.

What extracurricular activities did you participate in high school and college? 

In high school, I participated in Marching band, speech and debate club, and journalism.

In college, I participated in Marching band, English club, Grammar Tutor.

(I did not do a lot of extracurricular because I had two jobs – Resident Assistant at my dorm and night manager at The Pizza Pub.)

What made you decide to be a teacher? 

Every job I held (waitress, bank teller, etc.), I ended up doing all of the training. It was a natural step to go into teaching. (Plus I love it!)

How long have you been here at Redbank?

16 years, I believe.

Since you have been at Redbank, what sports have you coached or clubs that you sponsored? 

Student council advisor, Shakespeare club advisor, (print) journalism advisor, Spark club advisor, Asst. director of the musical.

What courses do you currently teach here at the high school?

All 11th grade English classes, several senior classes, and AP English Literature and Composition

What is one of your favorite teaching memories? 

One year early in my career, my fellow teachers voted me the Redbank Teacher of the Year. This is not done here anymore, but it was a great honor to be recognized.

Also, when I first started a Shakespeare class, I made one class do an “outside the classroom” project. One year we put on a Shakespeare play at Redbank. It was A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and it was AMAZING!

What is one local, state, or national educational issue that you would like to see resolved?

I would like politicians to realize that standardized testing is not a true measure of a students’ worth. I have never been good at testing, so I understand the stress and panic that comes with standardized testing. I feel that teachers should be trusted to teach. If you pass my senior English class, then you are ready to go out into the world and be a literate human being. I don’t believe in standardized testing as a graduation requirement.

What are some of your hobbies outside of work?

I love to read, scrapbook, do yoga, and put together puzzles. My son and I just recently starting biking on the fabulous trails around Redbank. I also like to spend time with my family watching sports and traveling to different interesting places in the United States. We have been to numerous different MLB (Major League Baseball) stadiums. And, of course, playing with and training my golden retriever, Bailey.

If you had not chosen to be a teacher, what another career path would you have explored? 

A librarian, for sure!!!!