Teacher Feature: Mr. Laird

Mr.+Laird

Mr. Laird

Mr. Laird has been teaching at Redbank Valley for 10 years. He currently teaches 8th grade science, Biology, Environmental Science and Biology PBA.

Q: What high school did you go to?

A: Corry Area High School

Q: What college did you go to?

A: For mt undergraduate degree I went to Clarion University and for my Masters’s Degree I went to California University of PA.

Q: What extracurricular activities did you participate in high school and college?

A: I was in golf, wrestling, cross country, and track in high school.  While in college I was involved with inter-varsity and the Army Reserves, so that took up my “free” time

Q: What made you decide to be a teacher?

A: This really is an interesting question. My parents were both teachers, but that wasn’t really why I wanted to become one. I had several coaches/ teachers that really impacted my desire to be a teacher because of their enthusiasm for passing along their knowledge to future generations. It was something that appealed to me, so that was the career path that I choose.

Q: Since you have been at Redbank, what sports have you coached or clubs that you sponsored?  

A: I have coached wrestling for 9 years here.

Q: What is one of your favorite teaching memories?

A: It would be my first day of teaching here. I was in study hall and a student, who I didn’t know other than from taking attendance that day, was reading a magazine. He found a page that said “If you love Science, hug your teacher.” So he tore it out, handed it to me, hugged me, and then sat down without saying a word. I was lost for words but laughed about it.

Q: What is one local, state, or national educational issue that you would like to see resolved?    

A: Teaching for depth of knowledge, not width  of material that is covered on a test that measures what we taught and what students learned.

Q: What are some of your hobbies outside of work?

A: Spending time with my kids, hunting, working out/ running

Q: If you had not chosen to be a teacher, what other career path would you have explored?

A: I would have been a full time landscape designer and landscaper (hardscapes: retaining walls, paver patios, decorative ponds as well as plants).