Oktoberfest Celebration

Today is October 4th, which is a very important day for the German students here at Redbank. It is finally Oktoberfest!

According to Mrs. Liberato, our German and Spanish teacher, October 4 is when we celebrate and honor our German heritage and homeland. The festival began when Prince Ludwig invited 40,000 people to his wedding celebration. The guests enjoyed horse races, live music, and plenty of food. The party was such a success that Prince Ludwig decided to hold another party the following year, and then Oktoberfest became an annual event.  Munich’s Oktoberfest became more popular as the years passed and now lasts from one to sixteen days. By 1818, carnival rides were set up for the annual festival. A parade was soon added. Traditional foods and drinks were served in large tents.

Mrs. Liberato was in charged of the arrangements along with her German II students and some help from her Spanish II & III. As part of the celebration, each student had to design and make their own shirt with a German or Spanish theme. The shirt  had to have two statements in the language they were studying and have pictures on both the front and back of the shirt. The students received 100 points for making the shirts and 10 points for wearing them Monday to all their classes. 

Another Oktoberfest project included the celebration of German foods with a contest.  Students or teachers were invited to make German foods.  The judging took place in the library first period.  The judges were Mr. Reitz, cafeteria food manager, Mrs. Snyder, former family consumer science teacher,  and Mr. Bauer, senior high science teacher.  The contest results are below:

Student Winners:

Sweet-Kaitlyn Draa, 1st; Samantha Booth, 2nd; Lilly Neiswonger, 3rd

Savory- Trinity Weckerly, 1st; Megan Himes, 2nd; Aldan Griffin, 3rd

Teacher Winners:

Sweet- Mr. Hartle, 1st; Mrs. Liberato, 2nd

Savory- Mr. Craig, 1st; Mrs. Rickert, 2nd; Mr. Hartle, 3rd