• The Tim Kutch benefit show for Cassie Westover is on October 27th @ 7pm here at the HS.

• Attn Attn! The time has come to audition for this year's high school musical. Mrs. McIntire has all of the details.

• Juniors - Powder puff will practice today from 6 - 8.

Filed under Opinion

Walkout–Rebellion?

Students at Granada Hills Charter High School in Los Angeles County walked out of class and to the football field, where they laid down to spell out

Students at Granada Hills Charter High School in Los Angeles County walked out of class and to the football field, where they laid down to spell out "#Enough."

On Wednesday, March 14, a nationwide organized walkout was held to raise awareness concerning school shootings and the need for updated gun control legislation  The protest commemorate those lost during the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018. The date of the walkout was exactly a month since this tragic event happened.  Students nationwide walked out of class at 10 AM for 17 minutes, a minute for each life lost in that shooting.  There were over 2,000 walkout events registered for March 14. Some of the events were held in New York City,  Chicago, Atlanta and Santa Monica.  In many more cities and towns, students left school by the hundreds and the thousands at that time, with some students leaving in defiance of school authorities, who seemed divided and conflicted about how to handle the emptying of classrooms.

Young students organized the walkout with Women’s March Youth Empower. This organization also ran the anti-Trump Women’s March demonstrations in January 2017. Tabitha St. Bernard Jacobs is one of the adults guiding the students in the movement. There have been many protests against school shootings, but this is the first one that was initiated by students.

What inspired students to have these protests was mainly the Florida shooting.  The point they want to make is the need for more gun control. The purpose of the protest is to demand legislation  to keep students safe from gun violence at schools, on our streets, in our homes, and places of worship.   It is frustrating that lives were lost due to inadequate gun control, mental health issues, and bullying.

In some schools, the faculty and administration encouraged this peaceful protest and used the event to teach responsible citizenship.  As young adults, we do not always understand the right way to express our frustrations. We have to be taught, and this protest is a perfect example of teachers engaging the students on a national subject they both can agree on.   The students are still trying to make a change to protect the lives of students nationwide.

Will the March 14 walkout change school violence?  There is more than one solution to preventing any more lives lost, such as providing the services for mental health, stricter gun control, or more protection in the school, like security guards or possibly metal detectors. We do need to do something to prevent school shootings. 

The government  can make all the laws they want to keep us safe, but in an imperfect world, there will be violence. We must live in this world with caution for these types of events. Being prepared will not hurt us and should not make us fearful. It will make us stronger and have more control in these situations.