• Do you like video games? Consider joining the RV Smash Club.

• Congrats to Noah Anderson for being voted Student of the Week! Look for Noah's picture in the Derrick today!

• Attention seniors please check your emails and complete the survey by this Friday!

Student Awareness Day 2014

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Awareness Day 2014

Madison Harman, Editor

Student Awareness Day is well-known throughout the halls of Redbank Valley. Some see it as simply the day before Christmas vacation, but Awareness Day deserves so much more recognition than that. Student council advisors and members take this opportunity to remind students how valued their lives are, and to give knowledge about the dangers each and every one of us will be faced with throughout high school and college. Drugs, alcohol, and other teenage pressures are real issues, and knowing the right information might just save a life someday.

Student council knows how repetitive this information can be, so new speakers were added this year as an attempt to bring some fresh information to the student body. While speakers covered topics ranging between healthy relationships, drinking and driving, and how to get involved with community service, the famous sleep relaxtion activity was also put throughout schedules. The first three activities were followed by movies during the lunch periods, and then came the inspirational part of the day.

Seth Franco, a former member of the Harlem Globe Trotters, talked to the student body about problems he faced throughout his life and how he overcame them. He got very personal in front of everyone, sharing his mild hip dysplasia struggles and reminiscing on the darkest parts of his life, when all he wanted was to give up. After sharing such deep parts of his life, he completely turned the show around by talking about his wife of 10 years and his eight year old daughter, Jade. He told everyone how he landed the lead role in a movie that is currently on hold, as well as how he became the first caucasian to be a member of the Harlem Globe Trotters since 1942. He ended the show by doing incredible basketball tricks he learned while recovering from his first hip surgery. Although there is a long road ahead, Seth knows he can handle every struggle he faces. Seth continues to travel and speak to all ages with hopes of inspiring at least one person in the room.

Thanks to the help of the speakers, teachers, and staff members, many students left school with new information that they will hopefully be able to use in the future. Student council members and advisors would also like to thank the members of the student body who stayed to enjoy the activities.

Madison Harman, Editor

Madison is a senior and  founding member of Redbank Valley's digital newspaper. She is a member of student council and multiple volunteer...

1 Comment

One Response to “Student Awareness Day 2014”

1. Shannon Sager on January 8th, 2015 11:07 am

Yay.

• Student Awareness Day 2014

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Lunch Menu

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Donald Trump and Nancy Pelosi Face-Off

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Foods and You Welcomes Special Guest Chef

• Student Awareness Day 2014

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Lunch Menu: Week of January 7

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Cards For A Cause

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Clarion County Career Center Trip

• Student Awareness Day 2014

Blood Drive Playlist

• Student Awareness Day 2014