Carol Of The Bands

Dylan Donine, Staff Writer

Attending  holiday-themed school events is a great way to get into the holiday spirit, support your school, community, and  peers. The Redbank Valley School District’s Christmas Band Concert was a great  start to the holiday season, as it included many Christmas tunes that were easily recognizable.

This Christmas concert had free admission and was held in the RVHS auditorium on December 16th. Various school groups of different ages and experience levels performed many classic, and even a few unique Christmas songs. The elementary Honors Band performed first under the direction of Mr. Terwilliger.  The junior and senior high bands  then performed, both under the direction of Miss Williams. After each group performed, the junior high and senior high band combined to perform Silent Night. The RVHS Jazz Band also performed one traditional Christmas tune, and a “surprise sing-a-long” which happened to be the hit song Let It Go from the recently popular film Frozen. The audience seemed to really enjoy the concert, as they eagerly sang along to both Let It Go and Silent Night.

Besides just listening to music, the concert included a raffle as a fundraiser for the band.  Ms. Williams also dedicated the new donated bass drum to the late Mr. Reefer, former band director.

The students that have band in their schedule throughout the school year prepare for these concerts daily until the moment of performance, perfecting the songs for your enjoyment. The band members work harder than you think to learn the various compositions of music.

Band concerts are free, fun, beautiful entertainment, so if you didn’t attend the Christmas concert this year, try to get to future ones to show your peers that their talents are not unrecognized. This year, Ms. Williams was surprised and excited that they ran out of programs to hand out because so many people attended. Let’s aim to make that happen every year.