Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

National Player of the Year Watch CBB

College Basketball is starting to get into full swing, so here are my five top candidates for the National Player of the Year.

5. Mikal Bridges, Villanova

Now a Junior and with Josh Hart in the NBA, it is Mikal’s time to shine. He has impressed early in the season, leading Villanova to a 9-0 record to start the year. The most impressive win is over No.12 Gonzaga. Look for him to slide up draft boards right around March.

4. Grayson Allen, Duke

What would a college basketball player ranking be without Grayson Allen, CBB’s favorite bad boy? The Laettner-esque guard inspires hate around the schools partly because of his hot start to the year. He has cooled off recently but Duke is No.1, and he still did enough to be on this shortlist, but not ahead of his fellow teammate.

3. Marvin Bagley, Duke

The Phenom Freshman will definitely leave Duke after this year, but does that mean we can’t enjoy him while he is here? The big man is the main reason that Duke is winning games because he just gets points and rebounds the ball. While freshman rarely win this award, if he keeps producing like he is, he will be a major contender

2. Devontae Graham, Kansas

This guard has been electric this year and keeps Kansas winning. While all the freshman have to adjust with Kansas being shorthanded, they still power through thanks to Graham. He has become a lights-out shooter and good passer.

1. Luke Maye, UNC

Remember the unknown who beat Kentucky with a buzzer-beater last March? Well, he has now blossomed into a full superstar and anchor of Roy Williams’ team. He has put up remarkable numbers this fall and makes UNC an instant contender. No one, including me, thought that he would be this good, but it has been a pleasant surprise.