• Upward Bound will meet on Monday, 4/23, after school in Mrs.Orange's room.

• All seniors need to check their emails and fill out the form for future plans, wills, and memories by Friday April 20th.

• Round two for Prom sign ups, $12 per person. April 12th- Tuesday, April 24th

Filed under Showcase, Student Work

Toy Drive

Remington Orange is organizing the Toy Drive for a Civic Engagement Project, a required project to help the community, for Dr. Harmon’s Civics class.  He is helping a certain family with some specific needs, but anything left over will be given to Mr. Gold for his senior holiday project.

Inspect all toys before purchasing. Avoid those that shoot or include parts that fly off. The toy should have no sharp edges or points and should be sturdy enough to withstand impact without breaking, being crushed, or being pulled apart easily.

When purchasing toys for children with special needs try to: choose toys that may appeal to different senses such as sounds, movement and texture; consider interactive toys to allow the child to play with others and think about the size of the toy in the position the child would need to be in to play with it.

Be diligent about inspecting toys your child has received. Check for age, skill level, and development appropriateness before allowing them to play with it.

Look for labels to assure you the toys passed a safety inspection.

Gifts for sports equipment should always be accompanied by protective gear (Example: give a helmet with the skateboard).

Keep kids safe from lead in toys by: educating yourself about lead exposure from toys, symptoms of lead poisoning, and what kinds of toys have been recalled. Be aware that old toys may be more likely to contain lead in paint. Have your child wash their hands frequently and call your doctors if you suspect your child has been exposed to lead.

Do not give toys with small parts including magnet and buttons materials which can cause  serious injury or death if  ingested to young children. Young children tend to put things in their mouths, increasing the risk of choking. If the pieces can fit inside a toilet paper roll, it is not appropriate for kids under age 3.

Do not give toys with ropes and cords.

Do not give crayons and markers unless they are labeled non-toxic.