Filed under Features, Showcase

Holocaust Trip

Dr. Harmon took his 11th grade Holocaust class to the Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh October 26. When the students got there,  they looked at some artifacts from the Holocaust. Then the students  listened to Sam Gottesman a Holocaust survivor,  about his story for about an hour. After that, the students went to the Holocaust Remembrance statue nearby.

Sam Gottesman is 91 1/2 years-old . Sam is born in Czechoslovakia. Sam Gottesman is also Jewish. During the Holocaust, Sam was in a number of different concentration camps and ghettos, including llosva-Munkas ghetto, Auschwitz, Wustegiersdorf, Bergen-Beisen, Hildesheim, and Hanover concentration camp. Sam came from a family of seven. Of the seven of his family, only he and two others survived the Holocaust. After liberation,  Sam immigrated to the United States in 1947 with his father. Sam settled in McKeesport, PA with some relatives and worked as a picture framer and salesperson. He and his late wife, Lea, have one son.

For more information about the Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh and Sam Gottesman visit: http://holocaustcenterpgh.org/exhibitions/in-celebration-of-life-living-legacy-project/sam-gottesman-2/