• Upward Bound will meet on Monday, 4/23, after school in Mrs.Orange's room.

• All seniors need to check their emails and fill out the form for future plans, wills, and memories by Friday April 20th.

• Round two for Prom sign ups, $12 per person. April 12th- Tuesday, April 24th

Filed under Features

Upward Bound

Front row - Desirae Wells 
Second row - Elisabeth Robinson.  Photo submitted by Desirae Wells

Front row - Desirae Wells Second row - Elisabeth Robinson. Photo submitted by Desirae Wells

What is Upward Bound? Upward Bound is a government funded program that works with selected high school students to help them plan for college, get acquainted with a college setting, and enroll in post secondary education.

Mrs. Orange is the Learning Coordinator for Upward Bound at Redbank.  Application packets to join Upward Bound are located in the Guidance Office. Upward Bound meets in Room 114  on Thursdays after school. Upward Bound meets once a week for the first three weeks of each month.

Below are some frequently asked questions about Upward Bound with answers provided by the Upward Bound materials available through Clarion University.

What is Upward Bound? Upward Bound is a funded program that works with selected high school students to help them plan for college, get acquainted with a college setting, and enroll in post secondary education.

Who can be in Upward Bound? Students who want to participate in Upward Bound must meet these criteria: Have an interest in attending a college or university for a two-or-four-year program of study; be a first-generation college graduate; and/or meet income guidelines.

What services does the program provide? Study skills, development/test preparation, career exploration, and college application assistance.   Social, cultural and recreational opportunities are also provided through field trips and summer classes.

How does Upward Bound do all of this? During the school year six “Campus Days” are held on the campus of Clarion University (one Saturday per month). Program staff members visit each school regularly to meet with students individually and in small groups. “Learning Coordinators” conduct weekly after school sessions. During the summer: Students live in an on-campus residence hall for six weeks. Academic courses are offered in English, math, science, foreign languages, and career exploration. Weekend and evening activities are planned to help students see the value of higher education.

When can I join Upward Bound? The program accepts students when they are in their ninth, tenth, or eleventh grade year.

What does the program cost? Nothing! The program is funded by the US Department of Education and gives students the help they need in order to get into a college or university of their choice, be successful, and contribute to the future of the nation in a positive manner.

Is it all work and no fun? No! There are plenty of field trips to exciting locations and opportunities for you to make friendships that will last a lifetime.

Is it required that UB students attend Clarion University? No! UB students are welcomed at Clarion University, but they can attend any degree-gaining college or university that they choose.

Basic Requirements: Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or higher.  GPAs are calculated based on academic courses.  Students may not miss more than seven days of school per year to remain a member of Upward Bound.