Mission Transition 2017

Kylie Drayer, Contributor

Every May, the sixth graders always look forward to Mission Transition. Mission Transition is an orientation for the sixth graders who will be coming to the high school in the fall. The event is organized by Mrs. DiGiammarino’s English 7 classes.

This year, each English class was assigned a task to help prepare for Mission Transition. Period one was in charge of RVTV Live. They took on the role of the Broadcast Journalism students and were in charge of the morning announcements. Period four was in charge of organizing a locker to create a locker display for the sixth grade students. These students also created hanging emojis to decorate the ceiling of the seventh grade hallway. Period five created  word cloud folder covers.  In addition to the class-specific assignments, all of the students gave tours; wrote letters of encouragement; and created a Twitter wall.

The sixth graders started off by arriving at the high school during first period. The students were then matched with their seventh grade buddy, who would show them around the school. They were then given an overview of their agenda as they watched RVTV Live. During second period, sixth graders observed the quarter classes that they will take with their seventh grade buddy. Those classes include art, computer literacy, and family and consumer science. Then, the sixth graders observed seventh grade core classes with their buddies. The students then experienced high school lunch, sampling the food and cafeteria procedures.

After lunch, the students observed more core classes with their buddies. The students spent fifth period meeting their guidance counselor, Mrs. Blystone. After they were introduced to Mrs. Blystone, the sixth graders visited the greenhouse, where the FFA club had several fun activities planned- planting a flower; seeing a pig; and even making homemade butter!

During activity period, the sixth graders were given a tour of the high school. Seventh graders lead the tour.  The sixth graders ended their day at the high school by participating in a seventh grade gym class before they went back to the elementary school.

We hope the incoming class of seventh graders feel more confident and prepared for their first day of school in August.  Best wishes to the Class of 2023!